15/09/2012

Paralympic Bronze Medalist Retires





Bronze Medalist Victoria Nneji


 A bronze medalist in powerlifting at the just-concluded London 2012 Paralympic Games, Victoria Nneji, on Thursday, announced her retirement from active sports, saying she was fulfilled and getting old.

Nneji won a bronze medal in the 67.5 kg and had won a gold medal in Sydney 2000 Paralympics and silver in Beijing 2008.

She, however, did not win a medal at the Athens 2004 Games. ”I had sustained injuries in my shoulders during the Beijing 2008 Olympics which are now prolonged without healing. And it got worse to the extent that our physician was saying that I may not be able to contest at the London Games but I insisted. It only shows that I am not getting any younger. Thus, I am retiring from active sports. And I can say I’m satisfied with my performances this far”, she said.

Furthermore, Nneji added that she was glad that she was able to clinch a medal at the London Games, in spite of injuries on both her shoulders and the stiff competition in her category.

Meanwhile, she appealed to the National Sports Commission (NSC) to provide a Trust Fund for retired athletes. ”We want the NSC to have retired athletes in mind, so that they can sustain themselves,” Nneji said.

It will be recalled that Nigeria first participated in the Summer Paralympics in Barcelona 1992, and has since won a total of 22 gold, 11 silver and 12 bronze medals. (NAN)

No comments:

Post a Comment